Friday, March 22, 2013

Rain in the Rain Forest

Rain in the Rain Forest, who could imagine?  If we get much more rain, I am getting out my Skagway rain poncho.  My "rain" jacket got soaked today and I had an umbrella. I just stripped down when we got back to our cottage. Only my bra was dry.  Hope my shoes dry out. We were out next to Peterson Creek on a platypus hunt.  No success, but we remember how often we have seen beaver at Lower Scotts Flat Lake.  Exactly two times in the dozens of times we have been there.

We started our day with breakfast on the veranda at Hibiscus Lodge in Mission Beach overlooking the yard that abuts a piece of rain forest. A mother wallaby and her joey come hoping out. The hostess had baited the yard with apple pieces.  The joey decided to hide in his mom's pouch. But he still wanted some apple.

climbing in

Mom looked funny with that huge joey in her pouch. 

As we drove through more cane fields I noticed that almost every large field had a narrow gauge track leading to it.  This cane railway is used to haul harvested cane to the mill.  I finally saw some of the cars that look half the size of a regular box car.

Cane fields, pouring rain, cows huddled near the fences and bananas in protective bags.

We head to Millaa Millaa and the waterfall circuit, but most of the falls require you to walk for a bit and the rain continues to pour down. We are near Tully which boasts of being the wettest place in Australia with upwards of 300 inches of rain.  Finally we get to Millaa Millaa Falls which you can drive to, if you go to the buses-only parking lot. The picnic tables are here for lunch as are the toilets. I figure if anyone says why are you in the buses only area (there are no buses) we could plead that we are old people.



We stop in the Millaa Millaa post office to mail off gifts and souvenirs. There goes seven and a half kilos of things that I loved at the time and have forgotten now.  I have to make out a customs declaration that has to be specific enough so it can be determined I am not sending electronics. No fear there. My list includes such contraband as t-shirts, scarves and key chains. Hopefully they arrive at Valerie's house by Christmas, since they went by slow boat.

Our next stop in the renewed rain is the Curtain Fig, a truly impressive strangler.





We check into our lovely cottage in Yungagurra where the hostess tells us where to set out on our platypus hunt.  She specifically says that you have to maintain silence. I am sure the chattering people and barking dog don't help our search. Darkness and a drenching downpour sets in after we head over the suspension bridge.  I am glad I brought my flashlight.  We almost lose our way, but between the two of us we remember everything she had to say about the way back.  The map is wet and too hard to read in the dark. I am glad the rain is not really cold in the tropics.


We are off to the remote rain forest today at Daintree and Cape Tribulation. 

No comments: