Sunday, November 25, 2007

Soigneur for the first time

If you see a rainbow on the way to Gieten you might find mud on the race course.
Today I went along into the Netherlands to the Super Prestige race at Gieten. Gieten-in-the-mud might be a more descriptive name. After one time around the course with Wm, I elected to stay near the start and finish line. When we were walking the course Wm was looking for a frietes stand, but this was the Netherlands so we found a fish stand. We passed up the cold salt herring sandwich with raw chopped onions in favor of a fried fish fillet sandwich. It was a huge fillet seasoned and laid out athwart a bun with a fork stuck in the top. Quite tasty.

My spot near the start finish line had a small snacks stand that had coffee and cake, nice in the cold intermittent rain. I was mostly on grass or pavement with little mud. As Cyndi had suggested I watched the prior race start and finish, so I could see where the soigneur's got onto the course and where they would stand. Jon said I did fine as the soigneur. I was definitely helped by the fact that we were not in Belgium and the weather was bad, because the crowds were smaller at the finish line. At the finish I heard them call out Jon's name and I was looking for him, then he loomed up right in front of me. I had not recognized him in his coating of mud.
Read all about his race on CyclingNews. He really did quite well.

No comments: