What's for dinner?
Curried Carrot Soup
• 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
• 2 tablespoons butter
• 1 medium onion, chopped
• 1 1/2 pounds chunked up peeled carrots
• 6 cups chicken stock or vegetable stock or bouillon + water
• 1 1/2 teaspoons curry powder
• 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
• Coarse salt
• 1 cup plain non fat yogurt or sour cream
• 6 blades fresh chives or green part of green onion chopped
Preheat medium pot over medium high heat. Add olive oil, butter, onions and carrots and sauté 5 minutes. Add 4 cups chicken stock, curry and cayenne to the pot. Bring to a boil, cover and cook on med-low until carrots are very tender, about 30 minutes. Using food processor or blender process soup in 2 or 3 small batches until soup is smooth and carrots are fully pureed. Transfer processed soup into a large bowl as you work to make room for more soup in the food processor. Return completed soup to the soup pot and place back over low heat. Add remaining 2 cups of stock. Adjust seasonings adding about ½ tsp salt if needed. Bring back to a simmer. Serve and garnish with yogurt and chives.
Serve with a nice bread.
This is like a Rachel Ray recipe with modifications.
Update: I changed the amount of curry powder I used when I made this from Tablespoons to teaspoons as I wanted a mild curry flavor. Not too strong.