Sunday, August 3, 2008

Granola

Wm has been eating granola for breakfast a lot, so I thought I would break out the old recipe for

Homemade Granola
1 lg box oats
2 cups unsweetened coconut
1 jar wheat germ
2 cups soy flour
2 cups milk powder
2 cups ground/chopped nuts
2 cups sesame seeds
2 cups sunflower seeds
4 cups honey mixed with 1 cup of oil
Mix all together and toast in large pan in 350 degree oven about 15-20 minutes or until lightly browned. Stir to prevent scorching. Store in airtight containers.

I started making this back when we lived in Groveland at White's Gulch before we moved to Cherry Lake. I remember I had made Valerie a bowl of hot cereal out of it, to make it softer, and as she was eating it she commented, "coconut." I was rather startled that she, at about 18 months, could recognize the taste of coconut in her cereal. I remember I just told her, "yes, Valerie the cereal has coconut in it."

As the youngest grand baby approaches two I find myself thinking back to Valerie and Jon at two or so. Fond reminiscences.

No comments: