Friday, February 29, 2008

A Long Day at the Vatican

We did a guided tour through the Vatican. Everything was very crowded and we feel that we would have almost gotten lost without the tour guide who was very good. The sheer number of ancient Roman antiquities was staggering. When excavation of the ruins started in the 1500's the pope took the lion's share (to preserve). The Basilica at St. Peters was big but both of us felt that the Doumo at Milan felt bigger. I think that was because it was the biggest church we had ever been in, so it looms larger in our memories.
Safety tip on the Metro: When we were getting on to come home there was a large group getting off, so we waited and then started to get on. At the same time the bell rang and the door started to shut on me. I held up my arm and have a nice mark on my arm. The moral of the story is that on the Metro you seem to have about 30 seconds to get on or off, so push on or push off so you don't get caught by the door.

No comments: