Sunday, May 24, 2009

Food Jazz

So I was explaining to William how the meatless tamale pie I fixed tonight was a riff on my usual version. Food Jazz. I served it with a cole slaw made with cabbage and shredded apple. He said I needed to write it down and save it. So from my Recipe File:

Meatless Tamale Pie

1 cup chopped celery
1 large onion chopped
4 cloves garlic chopped
sauté in 3 T EVO
add
1 15 oz can diced tomatoes
1 small can diced green chilies
1 can kidney beans drained
1 can black olives drained
½ tsp cumin
½ tsp oregano
¼ tsp garlic salt
1 T chili powder
Mix 1 T masa flour in water and add to above
Simmer

Mix together dry then add wet
1 cup corn meal
1 cup flour
1 T baking powder
1 tsp salt
1/3 cup vegetable oil
2/3 cup milk
1 egg

Put vegetable mixture in a large covered casserole. Top with cornbread mixture. Top with about ½ cup shredded cheddar cheese. Cover with glass lid and bake in 350 degree oven for 30 minutes.
Probably serves 6 certainly more than 2. We will have this as leftovers tomorrow.

No comments: